- Acting and Performance Studies – Classes in Acting Technique, Acting for Camera, Acting for Radio, Improvisation. Scene Study includes – Shakespeare, Chekov, Ibsen, Greek Tragedy, and Contemporary writers.
- Voice Studies – Classes in Voicing Text, Technical Voice, Articulation and RP, Choral.
- Movement Studies – Core and Alignment, Creative Movement Stage Craft and Characterisation, Period dance and movement, Combat.
- Contextual Studies – Approach to text, Character Research, Research Methodologies Muscianship, Professional Practice.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
The first three taught terms consists of practical skills classes in acting, voice and movement together with scene study rehearsals. This practical work is supported by theory in contextual studies. The programme is designed so that you build your skills base and knowledge in a methodical way so that you are able to apply them in your two performance terms.
Contact time is 36 timetabled hours a week through the first three terms. Contact time in the performance terms, whilst dependent on each project, is considered to be professional hours.
ALRA tutors are both trained teachers and professional practitioners.
Term 3 and 4 directors are current professional theatre or television directors.
Classes are practical involving group, pair or solo exercises; you will be asked to research, reflect and share your discoveries in occasional presentations. Rehearsals can be workshops, script analysis and traditional rehearsals.
Scene Study presentations take place twice a term.
Extra curricula workshops take place at the end of every term.
In terms 4 and 5 you will:
- Record a 10 minute film which will be streamed on the ALRA website
- Perform in a play which will tour the local community in collaboration with a professional theatre company
- Perform in a play in the ALRA Theatre
- Perform in a Showcase in both London and Manchester to industry professionals
All students successfully completing the course will be awarded:
- Diploma (awarded by Trinity College London)
In addition you will be entitled to Full Equity Membership through our CDET accreditation.