This one day intensive course is aimed at actors looking to further their training and enhance their knowledge of accents. We will look particularly at RP and Standard American. Working from an RP template, actors will learn how to profile accents covering Northern Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Newcastle.
The Accent Workshops are in both ALRA's venues at different times, but the course content are identical.
|5th September 2015 11am – 5pm||3rd October 2015 11am – 5pm|
|Cost £45||Cost £45|
|For enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org||For enquiries please email email@example.com|
- Working from an RP template, study vowel and consonant placement using the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- Learn how to profile an accent.
- Develop an awareness of the physical and auditory clues to look out for when working on an accent.
- Study the rhythms, stresses, intonation patterns and tunes of accents.
- Profile the Standard American, New York and Southern States accents.
- Gain confidence in acting in the accents by practicing maintaining a chosen accent on text.
- We will use a variety of scenes from British and American drama.
- Receive direction and feedback in relation to the performance of text and how to proceed with further work on the accents covered and others.
Requirements Practical exercises and activities will require students to wear comfortable, loose clothing.
Please bring a notepad and pen. Laptops with a CD drive are also needed.