Jimmy completed his 3-year full-time acting diploma at ALRA South in 1999.
Straight after graduating, he got a role in The Nativity for Bill Alexander at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre. His career on stage continued with the role in a Baby Doll production at the Royal National Theatre. Jimmy also played a role, alongside Leslie Phillips, in Naked Justice by John Mortimer at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.
Since then he has worked on stage, in television and film productions with international stars such as Sir Ian McKellen, Dustin Hoffman, John Boyega, Naomie Harris, Aml Ameen, Sally Hawkins, Catherine Tate, David Walliams and Riz Ahmed.
Jimmy has performed at some of the most established UK theatres throughout his career including:
- The National Theatre
- The Royal Court
- Soho Theatre
- Theatre Royal Stratford East
- The Lyric Hammersmith
- The Royal Shakespeare Company
- The Donmar Warehouse
- The West Yorkshire Playhouse
- Tricycle Theatre
- The Young Vic
Jimmy has been a series-regular (2011/2014), as Crackhead Mick, on the BAFTA nominated BBC2 comedy show REV, for which he was nominated for Best TV Comedy Performance at the Black International Film Festival and Music Video & Screen Awards.
In 2011, he also became a television favourite when he landed the role of maverick surgeon Antoine Malick in the BAFTA award-winning BBC One medical drama Holby City. In the same year, he played the role of PC Johnson in BBC’s Silk.
For his roles in Holby City and REV, he was nominated for and winner of several awards:
- Winner of Favourite Male TV Star, Screen Nation Film & Television Awards, 2014
- Winner of Best TV Actor,NEL Awards, 2012
- Nominated for Best Male Performance in TV, Screen Nation Awards, 2012
- Nominated for Favourite TV Star, Screen Nation Awards, 2012
- Winner of Best TV Actor, BEFFTA Awards, 2011
- Winner of Best TV Actor, Music Video Screen Awards, 2011
- Nominated for Best Male Performance in TV, Screen Nation Film & Television Awards, 2011
- Winner of Best Comedy Performance, Movie, Video &Screen Awards (MViSAs), 2014
- Winner of Best Comedy Performance in TV, Movie, Video & Screen Awards (MViSAs), 2012
- Winner of Best TVActor, BEFFTA Awards, 2010
In 2015, Jimmy played arch-villain Baron Reiter in the fourth series of the USA CW television network adaptation of DC Comics’ Arrow. Since then, he has been in Sky’s In the Long Run alongside Idris Elba and ITV’s Cheat playing DI Hammond.
Source: Spotlight (2019)