Jimmy completed his 3-year full-time acting diploma at ALRA South in 1999.
Straight after his graduation, he got a role in The Nativity for Bill Alexander at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre. His career on stage continued with the role in a Baby Doll production at the Royal National Theatre. Jimmy also played a role, alongside Leslie Phillips, in Naked Justice by John Mortimer at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.
Since then he has worked on stage, in television and film productions that have given him the pleasure and privilege of working with international stars such as Sir Ian McKellen, Dustin Hoffman, John Boyega, Naomie Harris, Aml Ameen, Sally Hawkins, Catherine Tate, David Walliams and Riz Ahmed.
Jimmy has performed at the most important UK's theatres throughout his career including:
- The National Theatre
- The Royal Court
- Soho Theatre
- Theatre Royal Stratford East
- The Lyric Hammersmith
- The Royal Shakespeare Company
- The Donmar Warehouse
- The West Yorkshire Playhouse
- Tricycle Theatre
- The Young Vic
He has been a series-regular (2011/14), as Crackhead Mick, on the BAFTA nominated BBC2 comedy show REV. For this role he was nominated for Best TV Comedy Performance at the Black International Film Festival and Music Video & Screen Awards.
In 2011, he also became a television favourite when he landed the role of the maverick gay surgeon Antoine Malick - in the BAFTA award-winning BBC One medical drama - Holby City. In the same year and always for BBC one he played the role of PC Johnson in Silk.
For his roles in Holby City and REV, he was nominated and also won several awards, in particular:
- Winner of Favourite Male TVStar, Screen Nation Film & Television Awards, 2014
- Winner of Best TVActor,NEL Awards, 2012
- Nominated for Best Male Performance in TV, Screen Nation Awards, 2012
- Nominated for Favourite TVStar, Screen Nation Awards, 2012
- Winner of Best TVActor, BEFFTA Awards, 2011
- Winner of Best TVActor, Music Video Screen Awards, 2011
- Nominated for Best Male Performance in TV, Screen Nation Film & Television Awards, 2011
- Winner of BestComedy Performance, Movie, Video &Screen Awards (MViSAs), 2014
- Winner of BestComedy Performance in TV, Movie, Video &Screen Awards (MViSAs), 2012
- Winner of Best TVActor, BEFFTA Awards, 2010
Among his most recent credits there is the part of arch-villain Baron Reiter, in the fourth series of the USA CW television network adaptation of DC Comics' Arrow.
Find Jimmy Akingbola online
Jimmy Akingbola (Arrow, Rev) actor and co-founder of TriForce said; “It’s been incredibly hard to choose this year’s shortlist because… Read More
"‘Sorry I Didn’t Know’ includes some A-list names such as actor Jimmy Akingbola, who hosts the show, along with Chizzy… Read More
"ITV2 has announced four new comedy and entertainment shows featuring black and minority ethnic talent including Sorry, I Didn’t Know… Read More
"The Green Arrow will also have to take down Double Down (JR Bourne) and Reiter (Jimmy Akingbola) in the days… Read More