The 15 month acting diploma (Level 7) is a full time programme that has three taught terms followed by two performance terms which includes 2 theatre productions (one in collaboration with a professional theatre company), recording a short film and a showcase in London and Manchester
Focusing on skills and techniques needed by today's professional actor, the programme of this professional acting training encourages you to view your practice as continual self-development.
The shortness of this course demands a strong professional focus, a good level of stamina and a very high level of commitment. We welcome all applicants and typical students are those with some performance experience or those seeking a career change.
- Entry Requirements
- Fees & Dates
- Admissions and Assessment
Timetables for each course are distributed during induction week and then at the start of each subsequent term. Please note that although we make every effort to supply the full timetable, some changes are inevitable due to reasons beyond our control. All aspects of the timetable are compulsory.
- Acting and Performance Studies – Classes in Acting Technique, Acting for Camera, Acting for Radio, Improvisation. Scene Study includes – Shakespeare, Chekov, Ibsen, Greek Tragedy, and Contemporary writers.
- Voice Studies – Classes in Voicing Text, Technical Voice, Articulation and RP, Choral.
- Movement Studies – Core and Alignment, Creative Movement Stage Craft and Characterisation, Period dance and movement, Combat.
- Contextual Studies – Approach to text, Character Research, Research Methodologies Muscianship, Professional Practice.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
The first three taught terms consists of practical skills classes in acting, voice and movement together with scene study rehearsals. This practical work is supported by theory in contextual studies. The programme is designed so that you build your skills base and knowledge in a methodical way so that you are able to apply them in your two performance terms.
Contact time is 36 timetabled hours a week through the first three terms. Contact time in the performance terms, whilst dependent on each project, is considered to be professional hours.
ALRA tutors are both trained teachers and professional practitioners.
Term 3 and 4 directors are current professional theatre or television directors.
Classes are practical involving group, pair or solo exercises; you will be asked to research, reflect and share your discoveries in occasional presentations. Rehearsals can be workshops, script analysis and traditional rehearsals.
Scene Study presentations take place twice a term.
Extra curricula workshops take place at the end of every term.
In terms 4 and 5 you will:
- Record a 10 minute film which will be streamed on the ALRA website
- Perform in a play which will tour the local community in collaboration with a professional theatre company
- Perform in a play in the ALRA Theatre
- Perform in a Showcase in both London and Manchester to industry professionals
All students successfully completing the course will be awarded:
- Diploma (awarded by Trinity College London)
In addition you will be entitled to Full Equity Membership through our CDET accreditation.
Selection is made by audition.
See Audition Guidelines (How to Apply)
- If English is not your first language you must be fluent in English (You may be asked for proof of this).
- You must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course, although ALRA welcomes older students, especially those who are thinking about a career change.
|with DaDA||paying privately||with Student Loan|
|Postgraduate Acting North (inc £400 University fee)
|£0–£7,175~||£2,270 per term||N/A|
|Postgraduate Acting South (inc £400 University fee)
|£0–£7,175~||£3,020 per term||N/A|
|Autumn Term 2016||Spring Term 2017||Summer Term 2017||Autumn Term 2017||Spring Term 2018|
|From||19th September||9th January||24th April||TBC||TBC|
|To||2nd December||24th March 2017||7th July 2017||TBC||TBC|
Admission follows successful audition and interview. Candidates will be contacted as soon as possible to confirm their places.
For information on our Admissions Policy click here: